Week 3- Change It Up with Whole Numbers!

20:55:00

There were two themes to our learning this week in math class. The more obvious theme was Whole Number Operations. We (re)learned how to add, subtract, cross multiply and complete long division. While these operations probably should have been easy to complete, I'd be lying if I said I didn't quickly Google how to properly do long division. It's been a very long time since such an equation had been presented to me....without the aid of calculator. Reviewing these whole number operations was rather beneficial in my case, as I certainly needed the refresher!


The second theme to our learning was accepting that there is no one "right" way to solve whole number operations. In each category (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division), four different methods were presented to us for finding the solution. In most cases, I was only familiar with the traditional method for solving the equations. When I did find other ways to solve problems, I remember being discouraged by teachers from using these alternatives. I think it's great that we are now more open to different ways to solve problems. As long as students are able to find the right answer, I believe they should be able to use whatever methods suit them best. Students who think outside the traditional box shouldn't be discouraged from finding their own comfortable methods. As a pre-service teacher, I think it's important for me to remember to change up my problem solving routines. By being open to different methods for solving problems, I will be better able to assist students with varying problem solving preferences. 

BH, Richard. (2011, October 2). Timbits [photograph]. Retrieved from https://www.flickr.com/photos/rbh/6624232893

Along with Catherine, I led our class in a 10 minute mini-less concerning Whole Number Operations using timbits. We chose to look at common factors for our lesson, as it would require students to utilize both multiplication and division. We led the class through a method for solving the problem that we devised, which did give us the correct answer. However, after focusing on different ways to solve problems, I wonder what would have happened if we let the class try to solve the problem without our guidance. Perhaps we would have discovered alternate means for determining common factors that Catherine and I hadn't considered! I will keep this in mind for when I am teaching students math during my teaching placement. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Pinterest

Follow Me On Twitter

Views