Reflection

19:20:00

Like the vast majority of my classmates, I was not looking forward to starting EDBE 8P29 at Brock University. I had previously believed that the last math class I would ever have to take in school was Grade 12 Data Management & Probability, and I was less than ecstatic to discover that this was not the case. Math had never been my strong suit, and although I was never "bad" at it, I certainly did not feel as though I would ever be able to teach it confidently. I quickly decided that my Mathematics class would be my least favourite and most difficult of the semester.

As you may have guessed, I couldn't have been more wrong. And for that, I am very glad. As it turns out, learning to teach math is actually one of the best ways to increase your own confidence in your mathematical abilities! Over the past few months, I have come to view myself as relatively well-informed individual on the subject of Whole Number Operations, Fractions, Integers, Proportional Thinking, Patterning and Algebra, Geometry and Spatial Sense, Measurement, Data Management and Probability.

The most enlightening and comforting concept illustrated in EDBE 8P29 is that everyone approaches math in their own unique way. Just as we are all unique individuals, we all bring our own unique perspectives to mathematical problems. When we solve problems, we often do so in ways that are reflective of our personal creativity. We learn differently, and as a result we discover ways to solve math problems that are different from the ways others may approach the same problem. Teachers must be aware of this when instructing students. Differentiated Instruction is crucial when teaching mathematics. Teachers who focus more on questions rather than correct answers enable their students to learn in an environment that supports their creativity and natural sense of inquiry.

As a teacher, I want to fill my math lessons with open-ended questions that allow for students to establish a sense of engagement and wonder in the realm of mathematics. I do not want my students to feel anxious about right answers or following strict formulas. Instead, I will teach them to look for alternative methods and original solutions to subjects of inquiry. I will provide my students with as many real-world examples of how mathematics can function in the world around them. I will also give students opportunity to participate in the Gamification of math, so that they can experience the fun side of mathematical challenges.

I want my students to feel excited about the possibilities for inquiry that math class provides. When they think of math, adjectives like "boring" or "difficult" will be far from their mind. Instead, they will think of math as an expression of conquest and positivity, much like Finn, lead character of Adventure Time.  Just as I mentioned in my very first post, Adventure Time does a great job of equating mathematics with fun and success. I can only hope that one day I'll hear students using mathematical terms in the same positive way that Finn does. Who know? Maybe one day when I tell my students that I'll be taking them on a field trip to Tim Hortons I'll be lucky enough to hear one of them shout "that's so rhombus!" or "totally mathematical!" or "algebraic!" amongst the usually "yippies!" and "yays!".

Cartoon Network. (2012, January) Algebraic! T-Shirt [photograph]. Retrieved from www.cartoonnetwork.com


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Pinterest

Follow Me On Twitter

Views