Week 10 - Data Management & Probability

18:06:00

One of the highlights of this topic was the in-class mini lesson provided by two of my peers this week. May and Kaytlyn created a very helpful interactive lesson about Data Management using an app called Nearpod. I loved this app, because it allows teachers to use tech in the classroom, in a way that creates a collaborative learning environment for students. Not only did May and Kaytlyn teach us about the Measures of Central Tendency, such as mean, median, mode and range, but they also taught us how to teach it. Nearpod is not necessary for teaching these concepts, but as my two peers demonstrated, it can be very helpful when doing so. I would love to create my own Nearpod lesson, similar to theirs, when I teach Data Management to my own students.

Our discussion of Probability also provided me with inspiration for my own teaching. My instructor, Sue, shared the brilliant idea of having students directly interact with theoretical and experimental probability at Tim Hortons! During Roll Up The Rim season, teachers can take students on a field trip to a local Tim Hortons where they can compare the results of the theoretical and experimental probability of winning a prize in Roll Up The Rim. As a teacher, I would buy every student in my class a hot chocolate, and then have them roll up their rim. The actual number of students with winning cups could be compared to an estimated number of winning cups determined by the class, based on the contest statistics provided by Tim Hortons. After comparing the class' winning number of cups to what Tim Hortons asserted would be the average number of winning cups, students would be able to recognize that theoretical probability represents what we think will happen based on statistics and that experimental probably represents what actually happens when we carry out the event. If my previous experiences with Roll Up The Rim serve as any indication, chances are we will have two very different results!

Nystrand, Shawn. (2011, March, 26). Canada's New Motto [photograph]. Retrieved from http://bit.ly/2gQsUmb
Despite the fact that some students may be left disappointed when they don't win a Napoleon Gourmet Grill (oh wait, that's me), I think they will still really enjoy the outing to Tim Hortons and the chance (ha ha, probability is a great unit because there's probably going to be many opportunities to sneak in a pun or two) to test out experimental probability. And the added bonus of a tasty hot chocolate doesn't hurt either!

The great thing about the unit of Data Management and Probability is that it lends itself so naturally to real-world applications. Roll Up The Rim is by no means the only way to engage students with this unit. Students can be given the opportunity to create their own classroom polls or play fun games like Skunk to experience the various real-world applications of this strand of mathematics. I personally am looking forward to teaching this unit because of the many creative opportunities it allows for when demonstrating its concepts to students.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Pinterest

Follow Me On Twitter

Views